Google is considering offering up to a quarter of a billion shares of stock for $100,000 or less in the wake of a tumultuous year for the company.
The idea is to provide shareholders with a way to “reinforce the company’s momentum,” according to Google’s chief financial officer, Tom Enders, in an internal memo published Wednesday.
Enders told analysts that he “has not yet made any firm decisions about what would be an appropriate number” to offer.
In a post on the company blog, Google said that it would be considering “a number of different options,” including the offer up of $100 million, $150 million, and $200 million.
“This is an open invitation to any interested party to consider the offer,” Enders wrote.
“We encourage all of you to share your thoughts and ideas about how this could be done, as well as how it might help us achieve more transparency and accountability.”
Google’s stock has slumped 25 percent since the start of the year.
The stock has fallen about 60 percent since 2011, when the company announced plans to cut spending and focus on self-driving cars.
The company’s stock fell to a low of $13.50 on Wednesday, but it has rebounded since then.